Mathseeds Problem Solving and Critical Thinking
How does Mathseeds develop higher‑level thinking skills?
The Mathseeds lessons teach a variety of problem solving strategies using interactive manipulatives to solve increasingly difficult math problems. Every Mathseeds lesson also has a printable problem‑solving task targeting higher‑level critical thinking skills. These challenge students from Kindergarten to Grade 3 to develop a toolkit of strategies to reason, interpret, analyze, and solve increasingly complex problems.
Online Lessons Teach Strategies
Mathematical thinking and problem-solving in every lesson.
- Strategies, models, and interactive manipulatives help students learn how to solve problems.
- Mathematical models include number lines, number charts, part-part whole, number patterns, place value, number bars, graphs, and many more.
- Lessons promote thinking mathematically and developing number sense.
- Scaffolded learning enables students to apply their learning across a range of activities.
A Structured Approach Builds Confident Students
Identify the question, find facts, apply, and evaluate.
- Students tackle each problem using the same structure.
- Underline the question, circle the facts, and choose a strategy.
- Allows students to develop critical thinking skills whatever their ability level.
Printable Problem Solving Tasks for Every Lesson
200 problem solving and critical thinking activities.
- Integrates problem solving into every lesson.
- Develops higher-level thinking skills across all mathematics domains.
- Strategies include act it out, draw diagrams, write equations, use tables, mental computation, and logical thinking.
- Pages include collaborative elements and analysis where students are asked to think about their thinking, communicate this to others, and justify their mathematical reasoning.
Mini games in the Arcade prepare students for more difficult problem-solving opportunities.
- Problem solving strategy games in the Games arcade develop logical thinking.
- Introduces early problem-solving thinking.
- Fun, interactive, and leveled to challenge students.
- Games include: Pack Your bags, Cow Jump, Where’s My shadow, Shape Tip, True or False.